Friday, June 22, 2012

More Zipper Bracelets!

This year 2 of my very good friends graduated from high school. "J" works with me at the library, and is kind of a punky style girl, she loves a lot of the same types of books as me and is generally pretty cool. For her, I decided on a one of a kind zipper bracelet:




"J"s bracelet is 2 zippers. I started with the grey one, sewing on the hooks and loops by hand. The loops hold the ball chain in place and it is a little longer than the bracelet, so it hangs free in one spot. The hooks hold the ribbon in place (I pinched them closed with pliers after sewing them on and getting the ribbon in place.) I decided it would be fun to add a second zipper and I left this one closed, sewing it to the grey zipper so they would have even ends. I then finished the bracelet off with snaps - I love the snap setter I got at Goodwill!

"M"s mom works with me at the library and "M" is a super-cool artistic photographer. She is spunky, fun and sweet. I wasn't sure what to do for her, I knew her favorite colors were purple and teal, but I didn't have any materials in those colors that inspired me. I toyed with a rainbow bracelet idea for awhile, but nothing seemed right. Then it occurred to me that I had zippers in my collection that had come from "M"s grandmother - "M"s mom shared left over craft supplies with me when they distributed her mother's belongings. So I decided to make "M" a bracelet with zippers that belonged to her grandma. I hope she likes the sentimentality of it. Her bracelet was inspired by The DIY Collection.

I took 3 long zippers, they weren't exactly the same length, and then separated each of them into 2 pieces. I popped the red and white zipper pulls off but the black one wouldn't come off easily, so I left it. I layered half of the red with half of the white, pinned them together and sewed them by hand. This could have been done with a machine - I just decided to create this bracelet by hand like I did "J"s. After I finished the red and white, I sewed the black to the white. The next step was to find a can in the pantry that would work as a size-guide. I wanted one that would create a bracelet big enough to easily slip over my hand, I tried 3 or 4 before I got the size I wanted. The zippers were then wound around the can in repeating layers and pinned. I could then slip it off the can and sew it together. The most hidden stitches I could find for this part of the sewing was to use red thread and add a stitch between each tooth on the red zipper. Very secure but hard to see.

Now how to finish it off? I decided to make some zipper flowers like the ones on Ucreate. But hot glue is messy and that didn't work for me (this time, I will triumph eventually!) So instead I went with a swirl like this:





And the finishing touches? Rhinestones from vintage jewelry. I think she'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment