Thursday, October 18, 2012

Extreme Makeover: Piggie Bank Edition

She started out as a simple pink piggie bank. Then a career shattering accident destroyed her. We've rebuilt her into a new and improved, more glamorous piggie bank.



Here's what happened. We bought my daughter a simple $10 pink piggie bank from Target. They are super cute. The other day she put the bank on the corner of her night stand and gravity won the ensuing battle. So I carefully gathered the pieces and glued them back together. There were a lot of cracked pieces so it was obvious the piggie would need some serious reinforcement. I decided to decoupage her with tissue paper (old sewing patterns to be exact) in 2 or 3 coats. Once that was completely dry, I gave her 2 coats of white paint. She has more texture now, since the tissue paper didn't go on super smoothly (I was intending to turn her into an art piece for my shelf, not give her back to my daughter.) But I like the texture under the paint, it gives her character and camouflages the places where I didn't get her glued back together smoothly.

Sadly, I cannot take credit for drawing her fancy adornments. They are simple scrapbooking stickers that I cut and carefully placed to make her "wings", "shoes", ears and eye lashes (oh and what I think may be a tramp stamp.) Then I took my very cool Tul permanent markers and highlighted the designs. I think she turned out pretty glamorous. And just to make sure no one peels the stickers off, I then sealed the whole bank with a coat of Mod Podge.

No comments:

Post a Comment