Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Baby Honu Baby Blanket

My best friend of the last 25+ years is finally having her first baby! When we were little girls I went on vacation to the Black Hills and brought her back a little carved stone turtle. She has collected turtles ever since-she even dragged a 30 pound carved wooden turtle home from Ecuador! So I thought it was fitting to make the new baby a blanket with a turtle theme. The back of the blanket is green felt with turtles on it. I used the work of author and illustrator Tammy Yee as my inspiration. The front is hand-embroidered, it took me months, but it is so beautiful! I then decided I'd have to hand quilt it, so I figured out how to do that. I probably didn't do it the correct way, but no one has ever taught me how, so this worked for me. I was even proud of myself for making my own bias tape out of turtle flannel to make the binding for the edges.






No comments:

Post a Comment