Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Quest Continues!

After a week with my customized purse, I decided that the chain for the charms needed to be better anchored. So as you can see in the picture, I used heavy-duty jump rings to attach it more firmly. I like it better this way. I've gotten more than a few compliments on it.


I have been thinking that I'd like some extra sparkle on the purse but I didn't know how to add it. I was at Wal-Mart the other day and I found an iron-on rhinestone skull on clearance for $1.00. So for that price I figured I could experiment. The directions said to pre-iron the fabric to heat it up. I did that with the leather and discovered that it really holds the heat. It took me quite awhile to get it where I wanted it and some of the little rhinestones had to be moved around (needle-nose pliers), but I got it onto the purse with it's sticky cover film adhered to the leather. Then I couldn't iron it from the backside as the directions called for, so I doubled a thin wash cloth and ironed it onto the leather. I probably ironed it longer than necessary, but when I would peel the film back part of it always came back up. Finally I gave up and thought I'd let it sit until the leather cooled. When I did, the whole design was adhered to the purse. I am thinking the leather held the heat and kept the glue from setting very quickly. It isn't perfect but it's pretty much what I wanted, I keep asking myself though, is it possible to paint designs on leather?

No comments:

Post a Comment